Christmas Home Security Tips
Christmas is a special time when families and friends come together and celebrate. It is also the time of year when families and friends are most generous and practice the tradition of giving gifts. It should be a joyous and happy time for us all.
Unfortunately for us, home burglars view the holiday season a little differently. For them, it is a time of opportunity to burglarise you home for cash, jewellery and all the new gifts neatly wrapped under the tree.
Here is a few tips of what they look for when shopping for a home to burglarise. These tips will help you enjoy Christmas without incident:-
- Burglars look for easy entry with good escape routes. Do not openly display your Christmas gifts in the front window so it’s easily visible from your garden.
- Burglars look for occupancy/unoccupancy clues like outdoor lighting burning 24 hours a day, piled up post on the floor behind the door. Ask a friend or neighbour to check and remove the post.
- If possible have a car parked in the drive way facing the hall door.
- Extension cords running through a window for Christmas lights can create a severe security hazard as this usually prevents the window from being closed and locked.
- Do not place empty boxes from expensive gifts such as computers, gaming equipment, Smart TV’S etc. out on bin collection day after the holidays. This may indicate to the burglar on the prowl that you have something worth stealing. Break down the boxes, shred them if you can or bring to the recycle station.
- Switch off Christmas lights and electrical items when you’re not around. Make sure they are turned off to eliminate the possibility of fires caused by electrical items.
- Naked Flames, don’t leave candles unguarded in your home and make sure they are not placed near flammable items.
- Avoid sharing too much information on social media outlets about your movements or what you got from Santa.
Christmas Security Tips When Out Shopping-
- Organize a dedicated credit card for the Christmas shopping with a limited spending amount, if it is stolen or lost you will have limited loss and there will be no need to cancel all your regular credit cards.
- Make more use of ATM’s and withdraw money each day and hold NO CASH at home.
- When shopping in shopping centre’s avoid bringing bags laden with gifts back to the car in the car park and re-entering the shopping centre as the car park may be watched by would be thieves. Keep the back seat clear of shopping always place in the boot. Check with the store you are shopping in do they offer a holding area for goods bought for collecting later
- When back at your car always securely put your handbag away first, but not on view on the front seat allowing it to be snatched while you are distracted putting your shopping away.
- When buying Christmas Raffle tickets do not put your full name, address or phone number on the ticket stub it is enough to give your first name and email address.
- If going away do not put your full contact details on identification tags on your luggage
General Security Tips for ALL Year Round:-
- Increase the security to your home be adding a second lock to your exterior doors for use when away and at home. Ensure your opening window sashes have additional secure locks and if your window panes have exterior beading add the No Go window pane lock.