Peter Murray Summer Time Tips
Summer Time Tips
How to avoid a burglary when you are away on holidays whether it be overnight, annual holidays or just gone shopping.
Make your home look natural:
- One of the best deterrents is time, slow down the burglar and they will go else where
- Have your home look more secure than others on the road, by adding a visible second lock to all your external doors, irrespective of whether your door has a 3,5 or 8 point lock
- Ensure your alarm is set, and have it on your porch door and shed. This starts your defensible space.
- Leave all internal doors open, this eliminates the wonder effect.
- Leave blind curtains open, this eliminates the wonder effect
- If you have a key minder have them check your house at irregular times. If your alarm goes off please advise the key/house minder not to enter your home. Their role is to confirm a burglary has taken place and ring the GARDAÍ. You do not want them to be injured by the burglar.
- Don’t forget to cancel post, milk etc
- Do not leave your porch or outside lights on 24 hours
- If you make use of a safe leave it empty unlocked but not open. Make use of an of site vault company.
- Check bikes, tools, ladders etc. are locked safely into the shed. Also check that the wheelie bin in stored away in a safe place.
- Do not unwittingly advertise your travel arrangements to others using social media and ensure to disengage location services for social media apps